|Synonyms||Rupert, Ruprecht, Robrecht, Roopertti|
|Diminutive||Bob, Bobbie, Bobby, Rob, Robbie, Robby, Robin, Robbe, Roope|
The name Robert has old German roots and means “bright unfading fame” or “shining with fame”. In some countries Robert can be also called Rupert, Bob, or Robin.
The name Robert is one of the most widely used male names in English-speaking countries. Several kings had this name. There is a female version of this name – Roberta.
A man with this name stands out in any company. However, Robert doesn’t enjoy that as he is rather reserved and even-tempered. From childhood, Robert looks older than he is, and he is also very reasonable and reserved in response to excessive attention.
Such character traits as concentration and determination are typical for Robert. He always has rather good self-esteem, his vanity is not wounded, so he can always stand up for himself. Robert doesn’t usually hold grudges for a long time. He tries to think the conflict over and not only understand its point but also appreciate and maybe even accept his opponent’s opinion. It should be noted that Robert’s even temper and calmness have nothing to do with laziness. Everything he takes up he does thoroughly and without any fussiness.
Robert is capable of understanding and forgiving people, and he does that with tact and delicacy. That’s why he has authority and respect among his friends and even acquaintances. This quality is definitely an advantage because it’s perfect not only for personal life but also for an executive job. Robert also tries to choose a calm profession. The suitable fields for him are, undoubtedly, biology, history, or technical drawing. Robert becomes everyone's favorite in any work team because he never tries to be in command of other people and he is always ready to offer help if people need it. Robert is very serious about his family life. That’s why he always tries to remain faithful to one woman. Robert is fairly jealous, and if his loved one cheats on him, it will be a serious blow. Despite this, he can still forgive her.
There are usually no troubles in communication with Robert. He attracts people with his optimism and ability to enjoy even the least important events. It often happens that people try to win Robert over and convert him to their point of view. Robert tries to avoid such people and communication with them. Calm and even-tempered Robert sometimes reaches for adventurous people.
Famous people named Robert
- Robert Pattinson (born in 1986) – a British actor, fashion model and musician. Edward Cullen became famous worldwide for his role in the “Twilight novels”.
- Roberto Cavalli (born in 1940) – an Italian fashion designer, founder of the Roberto Cavalli brand.
- Robert B. Weide (born in 1959) – an American screenwriter, producer and director.
- Robert Downey Jr. (born in 1965) – an American actor, producer and musician. He is the winner of the “Golden Globe” Awards (2001, 2010), BAFTA (1993), United States Film Actors Guild Awards (2001) and “Saturn” (1994, 2009, 2014, 2019), nominee for the “Oscars” (1993, 2009) and “Emmy” (2001).
- Robert Plant (born in 1948) – a British rock-vocalist, best known for his participation in “Led Zeppelin”. After the breakup of the group Plant began a successful solo career, which continues to this day. He was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE).
- Robert De Niro (born in 1943, the real name is Robert Anthony De Niro Jr.) – an American actor, director and producer. Winner of the “Golden Globes” (1981, 2011) and two “Oscars” (1975, 1981). Robert De Niro continues to take a socially active position and conducts charity work.
- Robert Miles (1969 - 2017, the real name is Roberto Concina) – an Italian DJ and composer who worked in various genres of electronic music, one of the most famous authors of the Dream House style. World-famous Robert Miles brought the song "Children".
- Robert Scott (1868 - 1912, the real name is Robert Falcon Scott CVO) – an English polar explorer. He led two expeditions to Antarctica. One of the pioneers of the South Pole. In his homeland, he became a national hero.
- Bob Asprin (1946 - 2008, the real name is Robert Asprin) – an American science fiction writer.
- Robert Smith (born in 1959) – a British guitarist, vocalist and songwriter, leader and only regular member of the post-punk band “The Cure” since its founding in 1976.
- Robert Koldewey (1855 - 1925) – a German archaeologist. It was he who, through excavations that lasted more than 17 years, confirmed the existence of Babylon and determined its location.
- Robert Hook (1635 - 1703) – an English naturalist and inventor. Hook can safely be called one of the fathers of physics, especially experimental, but in many other sciences he often owns one of the first fundamental works and many discoveries. , spirit level, heat engine prototype, optical telegraph, minim thermometer, advanced barometer are some of his most famous inventions. Hook also invented helical gears.
- Robert Koch (1843 - 1910, the real name is Heinrich Hermann Robert Koch) – a German doctor and microbiologist, discovered anthrax bacillus, cholera vibrio and tubercle bacillus; awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for research on tuberculosis in 1905.
- Robert Boyle (1627 - 1691) – an English physicist, chemist and philosopher.
- J. Robert Oppenheimer (1904 - 1967, the real name is Julius Robert Oppenheimer) – an American physicist, creator of the American atomic bomb.
- Robert Burns (1759 - 1796) – a Scottish poet, folklorist, author of poetry and poetry languages. Robert Burns's birthday, January 25 is a national holiday in Scotland. This day is also celebrated by fans of the poet’s creativity around the world.
- Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856) – a German composer, teacher and influential music critic. Widely known as one of the prominent composers of the romantic era. Until 1840, all the compositions of Schumann were written exclusively for the piano. Later, many songs were published, four symphonies, opera and other orchestral, choral and chamber works. He published his articles on music in “Neue Zeitschrift für Musik” (“New music magazine”).
- Robert Rauschenberg (1925 - 2008, the real name is Milton Ernest Rauschenberg) – an American artist, a representative of abstract expressionism, and then conceptual art and pop art, stood at the origins of the creation of modular art, is the creator of the direction of combined painting. In his works gravitated to the technique of collage and readymade. Used garbage in his works.
- Robert Rozhdestvensky (1932 - 1994, the real name is Robert Petkevich) – a modern Russian poet.
- Robert Bunsen (1811 - 1899) – a German chemist. He opened the spectral analysis, with the help of which the scientist himself and his other colleagues were able to detect many new rare elements found in nature only small (rubidium, cesium, etc.). Bunsen discovered an antidote for arsenic poisoning. He invented various devices used in geological and chemical studies that bear his name (Buznez burner and others).
- Robert Louis Stevenson (1850 - 1894, the real name is Robert Lewis Balfour Stevenson) – a Scottish writer and poet, author of world famous adventure novels and short stories. He is the largest representative of English neo-romanticism.
- Robert Cailliau (born in 1947) – a Belgian programmer. Together with Sir Tim Berners-Lee, he invented the technology of the world wide web.
More man names ☞