|Synonyms||Miya, Mija, Maria, Mary, Mariah, May, Mae, Minnie, Molly, Mollie|
The name Mia is one of the versions of the name Maria used in such countries as the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Germany, and the USA. With time it became an officially given name. In 2013, Mia was the 7th most popular girl’s name in Australia. In this context it means “bitter”, “desired”, or “untroubled”. Mia is a Japanese name meaning “three arrows”.
Mia is also a hypocoristic of such names as Emilia, Amelia, and Solomia.
A girl with the name Mia is very persistent and has strong personality. She enjoys being the focus of attention and she does not mind inflicting herself on other people, although she does it with charm and style, so Mia rarely gets a sharp refusal.
Mia is a proud and vain girl, she is looking for perfection and does not flee from responsibility. Mia wants to be the best in everything she does and she can have a high sense of her importance, she gets offended and irritated when people do not believe in her success. Mia always feels when people don’t understand her, however, it doesn’t influence the amount of effort she puts into achieving her goal. Mia has such undeniable advantages as activity, independence, determination, and generosity. She is a reliable and totally honest person.
In fact, there are two opposite tendencies in Mia’s character and behavior. She can be a sensitive idealist showing self-sacrificing generosity, but she can also become deeply egocentric. These tendencies are usually interconnected and can lead to very controversial relationships, either for the better or for the worse.
Being a little girl, Mia is already willing to become the center of the universe, and if she can’t achieve excellence at school, she will probably express this wish in the development of a melodramatic and eccentric personality. The most important thing for Mia is not to go unnoticed. She is proud of her uniqueness and brightness, and she resents her parent’s interference.
Despite being extremely active, sometimes Mia needs to hide in her inner world of dreams. Enchanted by other worlds, she likes embellishing her life with poetry, music, and something fascinating. Mia enjoys travelling, especially to some faraway places. A girl with this name is romantic, although she never admits it. She dreams about meeting a prince and living happily ever after with him. Unfortunately, reality can be different from her dreams, so it is possible that the chosen partner doesn’t live up to her high expectations.
Mia has such an individualistic character that she prefers independent professions that give her plenty of rope. Most often, these are artistic, esthetic, or creative professions (stylist, designer) or the ones related to articles of luxury (fashion, furs, jewelry, perfumery). Also, Mia is always glad to take up a leading position in order to be useful to people (social work, law, healthcare, PR).
Famous people named Mia
- Mia Goth (born in 1993) – an English actress and model.
- Mia Farrow (born in 1945, the real name is Maria de Lourdes “Mia” Villiers Farrow) – an American actress, activist and former model. Also known as UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador.
- Mia Wasikowska (born in 1989) – an Australian actress. She is known for her role as Alice Kingsley in the movie “Alice in Wonderland”.
- Mia Borders (born in 1988) – an American singer and songwriter.
- Mia Audina (born in 1979, the real name is Mia Audina Tjiptawan) – an Indonesian, then Dutch badminton player, twice winner of silver medals at the Olympic Games, repeated winner of world and European championships.
- Mia Amber Davis (1974 - 2011) – an American fashion model and actress.
- Mia Slavenska (1916 - 2002, the real name is Mia Čorak) – an American ballerina, teacher, was a soloist of the “Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo”, also taught in her own studios.
- Mia Saarinen (born in 1995) – a Swedish and Finnish actress.
- Mia Friedman (born in 1971) – an Australian journalist.
- Mia Engberg (born in 1970) – a Swedish film director, screenwriter and producer.
- Mia Hamm (born in 1972, the real name is Mariel Margaret Hamm-Garciaparra) – an American football player, played in the US women's national football team.
- Mia Zapata (1965 - 1993) – an American rock singer, songwriter and musician (guitar, piano).
- Mia Murano (born in 1986) – a Japanese model and actress.
More woman names ☞