|Origin||German, Hebrew, Greek|
|Synonyms||Elle, Ela, Ellen, Eleanor, Elina, Eliana, Elvira|
There are different versions of the name’s origin. According to one of them, the name Ella means “dawn” or “light” in Greek. The name Ella is widely used in a lot of English-speaking countries (England, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, etc.).
According to the second version, the name Ella has Norman roots and is a short form of the Germanic name Alia, which is a component of some Germanic names meaning “other”. It can also be translated from German as “all” or “whole”.
The third version says that the name Ella means “goddess” in Hebrew (Ela), so this name isn’t used among religious Hebrews. However, this name can also be translated as a “pistachio tree”, which makes it more or less possible for Hebrew parents to give their daughters this name.
Also, Ella is a short form of the name Eleanor, which means “God is light” in ancient Hebrew or “compassion” in Greek, as well as of the names Ellen, Elina, Eliana, Elvira, and Isabel. The Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna of Russia was called Ella in the Western world.
The name Ella can also be a hypocoristic of other names, such as Gabriella, Eleanor, Mihaella, and Elfrida. Some of the name’s hypocoristics, including Lesya, Lora, Nora, and Elya, are also official given names.
From childhood, little Ella is surrounded with her parents’ attention and care. The child becomes spoilt, capricious, and willful. The girl enjoys spending time with her father.
At the age of five, Ella starts to show such character traits as calmness and good sense. She is always surrounded with friends. She likes performing at different celebrations in her kindergarten and she is always willing to get the leading roles.
As for the character, a “winter” Ella takes after her mother, but she’s trying to be closer to her father. The girl enjoys watching serious movies. She is very curious and she always asks a lot of questions, which drives her mother crazy.
Ella likes being with boys. She has more friends among boys than girls. She is cheerful, active, and friendly. Sometimes she acts without thinking about consequences, so you can’t always rely on Ella.
School is not a problem for this girl. She has excellent marks almost in all her subjects. Ella shows particular interest in humanities and has a pronounced aptitude for exact sciences. She doesn’t like helping her mother about the house.
The choice of university and future profession is a long process for her. To make use of her skills, she finds a job right after leaving school. Ella is responsible, she easily copes with her duties. Ella is not a workaholic, but she can overcome laziness. This woman likes to spend time daydreaming. She devotes a lot of time to her friends and acquaintances. After graduation from university, Ella may find her chosen profession disappointing and start looking for a job in another field of activity.
A woman with this name likes communicating and easily finds common ground with other people. Spending time at noisy parties brings Ella pleasure. She often visits other people. People love Ella’s kindness and sympathy. At the same time, this woman is forgetful and light-minded. She can break her promise or forget about an important meeting.
Ella has a wide range of interests. She read a lot. She’s keen on mythology and philosophy, she is an expert in art. She often visits museums and exhibitions. She is not really interested in household chores and she can’t cook. In her parents’ house, Ella’s mother and father do everything for her. When Ella gets married, she unwillingly takes over the household duties. Family life isn’t often happy for a woman with this name.
It takes a lot of time for Ella to grow up. As for starting a family, she takes it slow. Ella is a pretty woman and she attracts men’s attention. In her early youth she remains just friends with all her admirers. Later, she starts to treat relationships as a game. This woman becomes a good wife. She loves her husband and children, she takes care of them and always devotes her attention to them.
A “summer” Ella has a strong personality. Being a real social climber, she enthusiastically goes towards her goal. She seeks to achieve a lot in life and does her best to do that. She overcomes all obstacles and goes for success. She is conservative in her views.
An “autumn” Ella is usually compliant. She rarely expresses her opinion. She is calm and gentle, she makes friends with everyone and often follows the leader. Ella’s honesty prevents her from being mean to other people. There are always a lot of men around her. She gets married more than once.
Famous people named Ella
- Ella Fitzgerald (1917 - 1996) – an American jazz singer. She possessed a voice of three octaves, was a master of improvisation, which brought her world fame and 14 Grammy awards. She was called “Lady Ella” and “First Lady of the Song”.
- Ella Balinska (born in 1996) – an English British actress, best known for her role as Jane Cano in the movie “Charlie's Angels” (2019).
- Ella Mai (born in 1994, the real name is Ella Mai Howell) – a British singer, R&B musician, author and performer. Nominee and winner of several music awards.
- Ella Jay Basco (born in 2006) – an American actress.
- Ella Chen (born in 1981) – a Taiwanese singer, member of S.H.E.
- Ella Rumpf (born in 1995) – a Swiss actress.
- Ella Rose Curtois (1860 - 1944) – an English artist known for her marble and terracotta sculptures. In 1959, a gallery was built where her works are exhibited.
- Ella Lemhagen (born in 1965) – a Swedish film director.
- Ella Purnell (born in 1996) – an English actress.
- Ella Henderson (born in 1996, the real name is Gabriella Michelle Henderson) – an English singer and songwriter.
- Ella Wilcox (1850 - 1919) – an American poet. She owns the famous phrase "Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".
- Ella Maillart (1903 - 1997) – a famous French-speaking Swiss traveler and writer, also known as an athlete.
- Ella Gmeiner (1874 - 1954) – a German opera singer (mezzo-soprano).
- Ella Gjømle Berg (born in 1979) – a Norwegian skier.
More woman names ☞