|Synonyms||Kristofer, Christophe, Christie, Christy, Cristobal, Kristoffer, Christoffer|
|Diminutive||Chip, Chris, Kit, Kris, Topher, Kester, Risto|
The name Christopher has a Greek origin. This name is a two-part one. The first part is interpreted as “Christ” or “anointed”, and the second “carrier”, so the name is translated as “Christ-bearer”, “follower of Christ”, later transformed into “crusader”. Related name is Christian.
This name is most common in England and the United States, less so in Wales, Scotland or Ireland. It can also be used as a surname. Among Catholics, the name Christopher has been used since the 10th century. In English, it is often abbreviated as Chris, and sometimes as Kit. The name Christopher has been one of the most popular male names in the UK for more than 50 years, it was in the top twenty of the rating. But since 1995, interest in this name has weakened, now the name Christopher is included in the rating of the 100 most common names for boys in England.
Among Christians, the name Khristofor is most often interpreted as “carrying Christ in himself”, “honoring Christ”. In the Russian nominal tradition, this name was used mainly among the clergy and monasticism, so such a specific application made this name rarely used among the laity. By the 20th century, the name Khristofor had almost fallen out of use.
The owner of the name Christopher has a good intuition, this is a man with a strong sensitivity, but he manages to dominate his emotions quite well to such an extent that he seems calm and reserved to people around him. There is a certain duality between sociability and altruism, as opposed to introversion and egocentrism. On the one hand, Christopher needs others no less than everyone else, but on the other hand, he also needs to be alone in order to preserve his independence and his confidential world.
Socially, Christopher strives to make an impression. And if he can't claim the first place, he compensates for this by showing himself as an eccentric, energetic man with a wonderful sense of humor. The owner of the name Christopher is a curious mixture of independence (in particular, the mind, when they seem to be quite free thinkers) and dependence, mainly in the sentimental and emotional sphere, where their environment greatly contributes to their development.
As a child, Christopher often has a tendency to introversion. This is a shy and vulnerable boy who asks for attention, support and comfort. With a favorable family environment, his original and innovative side of personality will be fully established. His amazing memory is an advantage for his education, but he definitely needs motivation. Although he is quite tolerant and diplomatic, his unbridled emotions can play a bad joke with him. Christopher is very sensitive, touchy and takes everything to heart, but, on the other hand, he craves friendship and receives great friendly support.
Christopher likes to communicate, team up, cooperate and willingly accepts friendship offers, because in this way he can share his ideals and his broad views on life. He is interested in various scientific directions, but the humanities do not leave him indifferent.
In sentimental terms, this man is affectionate, the passion he has chosen will attract him, despite all the difficulties of communicating with her.If the trend of introverts wins, then Christopher will focus more on a research career (geologist, architect, statistician, librarian), a stable job (administration) or related to the earth, nature and animals. Otherwise, he will choose the areas of communication and contacts with the public.
Famous people named Christopher
- Christopher Columbus (1451 - 1506) – an Italian navigator. In 1492, he discovered the New World (America) for Europeans. He is the first of the reliably known travelers who crossed the Atlantic Ocean and for the first time informed Europeans about the lands in the west, making this discovery public. His geographical discoveries marked the beginning of the exploration and colonization of South and Central America, both the continent and the nearby archipelagos.
- Sir Christopher Lee (1922 - 2015) – an English actor, singer, voice actor and World War II veteran. The winner of the BAFTA Fellowship and BFI Fellowship awards. In 2009, he was knighted for services to the dramatic arts and charity. He also became famous for his singing talent, recorded various opera and musical works.
- Christopher Walken (born in 1943, the real name is Ronald Walken) – an American film, television and theater actor. He has appeared in more than 100 films. Walken embodied a huge number of expressive secondary characters, most often negative, unpleasant or mystical personalities. The winner of numerous awards and prizes (Oscar, BAFTA and the award of the Screen Actors Guild of the USA).
- Christopher Nolan (born in 1970) – an English and American film director, screenwriter and producer. He is one of the highest-grossing directors in history, as well as one of the most famous and influential filmmakers of his time. He has directed such films as “Following” (1998), “Memento” (2000), the thriller “Insomnia” (2002), the mystical drama “The Prestige” (2006). He gained special popularity after the trilogy about the Dark Knight (2005-2012), “Inception” (2010), “Interstellar” (2014). In total, all of his 10 films received 34 Oscar nominations.
- Christopher Abbott (born in 1986) – an American actor.
- Christopher Lloyd (born in 1938) – an American film and television actor.
- Christopher D'Olier Reeve (1952 - 2004) – an American theater, film and television actor, director, screenwriter, and public figure. He became a world celebrity after playing the role of Superman. His other film roles remained less noticeable. He also acted on television, played in the theater, worked on documentaries and popular science programs, was an active philanthropist. After falling from a horse (as a result he was paralyzed), he devoted his life to rehabilitation therapy, opened a center for teaching the paralyzed the skills of independent existence. Despite the injury, he continued to work on television, act in films and participate in public activities.
- Christopher Guy Harrison (1960 - 2020) – a British luxury furniture designer, founder of the Christopher Guy brand.
- Christopher Michael (born in 1983) – an American actor, director, writer, screenwriter and artist. His roles were mainly related to police officers. He has appeared in more than 100 films.
- Christopher Lund Nissen (born in 1992) – a Danish singer. In 2012 received an award at the Danish Music Awards and has been awarded «New thinker of the year» as a reward for innovation.
More man names ☞