|Synonyms||Alivia, Olyvia, Oliva, Olive, Ollie|
|Diminutive||Olive, Ollie, Liv, Livvy, Livvi, Livi, Livia, Oli, Olly, Olli, Ola|
The name Olivia has Latin roots, originating from Latin “oliva” meaning “olive” or “olive tree”. There is a male version of this name, Olive, but it is rarely used. Most commonly, the female version is used. The name Oliver is a related name.
A catholic saint Olivia (Oliva) of Palermo had this name. She is a patron saint of an Italian city Trivigliano.
The name Olivia characterizes the person as noble, honest, and sociable. She shows determination and independence from childhood. Olivia gets good marks at school and makes good progress in all subjects. She has great memory that helps her to be successful.
As time goes by, the girl demonstrates principled and serious attitude. Olivia tries to assess any situation with an unbiased eye. Her actions are usually based on her noble life principles. She is absolutely unsentimental. If necessary, she can be harsh. Olivia takes her mistakes and failures hard, but she can always find the courage to continue what she was doing. Thanks to her persistence, diligence, and good intuition, she often achieves success.
Essentially, Olivia is quite a sociable person. She can always find common ground with other people. She is relaxed so she makes new friends easily. Olivia finds female company boring, that’s why she prefers to spend time among men. The girl with the name Olivia is uninhibited, she feels laid-back in almost any group of people.
Olivia takes a negative view of gossip, lies, and hypocrisy. She tries to avoid people with such features. Olivia is sincere, honest, and open. Straightforwardness and all-or-nothing thinking are typical of her. This woman is not inclined to show aggression and is rarely involved in conflicts. Despite her excessive honesty, Olivia still makes a lot of friends. She is always ready to help her friends if they need it.
Olivia easily falls in love, but, nevertheless, she always values her independence. She is very serious and thorough when it comes to marriage. It is important that the man she chooses is of strong character and highly intelligent. Apart from that, he must be courageous. Success at work is also important for Olivia. She seeks to build a career and develop herself as a personality. As for family life, such woman knows her own values and expects decent attitude. Olivia’s marriage is usually happy.
Famous people named Olivia
- Olivia Thirlby (born in 1986) – an American theater and film actress who starred in the films “Kidnapped”, “Margaret”, “The Darkest Hour”, “Being Flynn”, “ Dredd” and others.
- Olivia Holt (born in 1997) – an American actress and singer.
- Olivia Coleman (born in 1974) – an English actress, twice winner of the BAFTA TV Prize. Her acting work in the film “Tyrannosaur” is especially noted.
- Olivia Wilde (born in 1984, the real name is Olivia Jane Cowburn) – an American actress, took part in the films “The Girl Next Door”, “The O.C.”, “House, M.D.”, “Tron: Legacy”, “Cowboys & Aliens”, “The Next Three Days” and others.
- Olivia Culpo (born in 1992) – an American model and actress. She is a winner of the “Miss Universe 2012” and the “Miss USA” of the same year.
- Olivia Hussey (born in 1951) – an English actress.
- Olivia Palermo (born in 1986) – an American actress, model, businesswoman and international leader in the fashion world.
- Olivia Newton-John (born in 1948) – a leading Australian actress and singer of the 1970s, a winner of four “Grammy”. She has the own star on the “Hollywood Walk of Fame”, has received the highest state award - Order of Australia. She is an environmental activist and animal rights.
- Olivia Dudley (born in 1985) – an American actress.
- Olivia de Havilland (born in 1916) – an Anglo-American actress, was one of the most popular Hollywood actresses of the 30s and 40s of the 20th century. In 1939 she starred in the legendary film “Gone with the Wind”, for which she was nominated for an “Oscar”. Her career as an actress continued until the 70s of the twentieth century. After completing her career, Olivia de Havilland starred in the film that brought her “Golden Globes” and “Emmy” in 1987. It was the film “Anastasia: The Mystery of Anna". In 2008, Olivia de Havilland was awarded the National Medal of Arts (USA), and two years later she received the title of Chevalier of “The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire”.
- Olivia Munn (born in 1980) – an American actress, model of the Japanese fashion industry.
- Olivia Lufkin (born in 1979) – a Japanese singer, songwriter, also known as OLIVIA.
- Olivia Olson (born in 1992) – an American actress and singer. She became famous in 2003 after playing the role of Joana in the film "Love Actually", as well as performing a song from this film.
- Olivia Broadfield (born in 1981) – an English indie-pop singer.
More woman names ☞