|Synonyms||Nik, Niek, Nike, Nicky, Nic, Nico, Niko|
The name Nick was originally an affectionate appeal to the male name Nicholas and some other names (Nicodemus, Nikita, Nicephorus, Nils). This name means “winner”. There is a female name “Nick” that written as Nike, Niek.
The name Nick has become independent thanks to the United States. At the beginning of the twentieth century there was a large flow of emigrants from the USSR, many tried to adapt to the new conditions, so they transformed their names so that they became convenient for pronunciation – short and similar to American ones. Subsequently, the name was fixed as an independent. This trend was supported by European countries.
The Muslims name Nick (نیک) translates from the Persian language as “good”.
The owner of the name Nick is endowed with a certain aristocracy, sophistication. He loves to brag, enjoys the admiration for him. This man really wants to be an example to everyone else, so he carefully refers to everything with which he is associated.
This is a strong-willed, disciplined and ambitious man. His insights are often surprised, but he may fall prey to his pride, arrogance and self-centeredness. In general, he is a sociable man, capable of great generosity. He behaves easily and naturally, more often appears in public as a pretty and pleasant young man in communication, extremely sensitive to the interlocutor.
Nick really truly cares about others. It is very good if he has brothers and sisters, otherwise the boy can quickly come to the conclusion that the world revolves around him. It is important to encourage any activity in groups, which allows developing a sense of solidarity from childhood. It also helps Nick to improve the art of communication, he has a penchant for languages, he is often interested in various fields, and this interest should be encouraged.The owner of the name Nick is esthetic, idealistic and often takes part in humanistic, artistic or social movements. He is often attracted to contacts with the public, he is passionate about traveling.
In love, he is quite demanding. Nick should be able to admire his passion, which should look better than himself. This is a perfectionist who respects the family, his foundations are exemplary moral character. The wife of this man will be able to trust him unconditionally. His ingenuity, tact, thoughtfulness and sensitivity contribute to the replenishment of Nick’s authoritarian attitude towards his chosen one.
Art and creativity are the main occupation that attracts Nick (theater, literature, painting, decoration, architecture, jewelry, rare craft professions). The professions and occupations associated with responsibility or with the law, justice, politics, health care are equally attractive to him. They will also be able to realize their potential, thanks to a career in broadcasting or in connection with travel.
Famous people named Nick
- Nick Cave (born in 1957, the real name is Nicholas Edward Cave) – an Australian rock musician, poet, writer, movie music writer, screenwriter. He is a leader of the groups “Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds”, “Grinderman”, “The Birthday Party”, “Boys Next Door”.
- Nick Jonas (born in 1992, the real name is Nicholas Jerry Jonas) – an American singer, actor and composer, better known as one of the members of the popular pop rock boy band “Jonas Brothers”, formed with his older brothers - Joe and Kevin. At first the group was formed only with a solo career Nick, but then the producers decided that he should sing with his brothers.
- Nick Offerman (born in 1970, the real name is Nicholas Offerman) – an American actor, comedian and carpenter. Best known for his role as Ron Swanson in the television series “Parks and Recreation”(2009-2015).
- Nick Cordero (1978 - 2020, the real name is Nicholas Eduardo Alberto Cordero) – a Canadian actor.
- Nick Drake (1948 - 1974, the real name is Nicholas Rodney Drake) – a British singer and songwriter, known for his sad, gloomy songs to the acoustic guitar.
- Nick Land (born in 1962) – an English philosopher, writer, blogger and “father of accelerationism”.
- Nick Cannon (born in 1980, the real name is Nicholas Scott Cannon) – an American actor, comedian, rapper.
- Nick Diaz (born in 1983, the real name is Nickolas Robert Diaz) – an American mixed martial artist of Mexican descent. Former champion of Strikeforce and WEC welterweight.
- Nick Mira (born in 2000, the real name is Nicholas Warren Mira) – an American producer and songwriter.
- Nik Caner-Medley (born in 1983, the real name is Niklas Anthony Caner-Medley ) – an Azerbaijani-American basketball player.
- Nik Xhelilaj (born in 1983, the real name is Kreshnik Xhelilaj) – an Albanian film and theater actor. Winner of several awards “Best Actor” at various international film festivals.
- Nik Zagranitchni (born in 1969, the real name is Nikolai Zagranichny) – an Israeli wrestler (Greco-Roman wrestling).
- Nik Abdul Aziz Nik Mat (1931 - 2015) – a Malaysian politician. Overall, his career as an elected politician lasted about 48 years after his election to the Malaysian parliament in 1967.
- Nik Bärtsch (born in 1971) – a Swiss pianist, composer.
- Nik Cohn (born in 1946) – an English music journalist and traveler-writer. He is considered the progenitor of a new kind of music, travel and social journalism. He is a well-known music critic who regularly publishes articles, novels and music books. In the early 1990s, Cohn attracted attention having published the successful New York book “Heart of the World”, which received the Thomas Cook Award for Best Travel History of the Year. In 1997 the writer again released a story from the urban jungle with his apocalyptic novel “Need”. In 1999 he presented a story about multi-ethnic sub and the youth cultures of his markedly changed homeland of England. The quality of his journalistic work is compared by some critics to George Orwell’s social reports. Nik Cohn regularly writes for “The Guardian”.
- Nik Omladič (born in 1989) – a Slovenian football player.
- Nick Bougas (born in 1955) – an American documentary filmmaker, artist, Hollywood researcher.
- Nick Bilton – a British-American journalist, writer, business columnist. Author of several best-selling books on technology and business.
- Nick Symmonds (born in 1983, the real name is Nicholas Boone Symmonds) – an American athlete (specializing in 800 meters), a participant in the 2012 Olympics, a five-time champion of the USA at a distance of 800 meters.
- Nick Gomez (born in 1963, the real name is Nicholas Gomez) – an American film director, also actor and writer.
- Nick Vujicic (born in 1982, the real name is Nicholas James Vujicic) – an Australian motivational speaker. Despite his illness (lack of 4 limbs), he learned to live with this deficiency and teaches other people to find their way in life. He is also a philanthropist, writer and singer.
- Nick Dandolos (1883 - 1966, the real name is Nikolaos Andreas Dandolos) – an American professional poker player (Greek by origin), commonly known as Nick the Greek. He became the main character in the book “Gambling Secrets of Nick the Greek”, a philanthropist, it is believed that he won and lost for all his life is more than $ 500 million. He was included in the Poker Hall of Fame as one of the very first in 1979.
- Nick Mancuso (born in 1948, the real name is Nicodemo Antonio Massimo Mancuso) – a Canadian actor, also producer.
- Nyck de Vries (born in 1995) – a Dutch racing driver, a Formula 2 participant.
- Nick de Firmian (born in 1957, the real name is Nicholas Ernest de Firmian) – an American chess player, grandmaster, participated in eight Olympiads.