|Diminutive||Mick, Mickey, Micky, Mike, Mikey, Micha, Michel, Michi|
The name Michael is translated from old Hebrew as “equal, similar to God”. There is also such a variant of translation as “begged from God”.
The name Michael has different variations around the world. For example, this boy will be called Michel in France, Michael (pronounced “Mikhael”) in Germany, Miguel in Spain and Portugal, Michele in Italy, Mihai in Romania and Hungary, Mikhail in Russia, Mykhailo in Ukraine, and Mihal in Poland and Czech Republic.
Among Catholics, Archangel Michael is considered the patron saint of such countries as Germany and England, such cities as London and Brussels, as well as the Cornwall county and the Italian region Umbria. In Catholic tradition, he is known as a protector of policemen, intelligence and security officers, gunmakers, radiologists, fencers, parachute jumpers, grocers, and emergency paramedics.
The name Michael (and its variations) is one of the most widespread male names in the world. In the USA this name was the most popular name of the 20th century, holding the first place in the top list from 1954 to 1998 (with the exception of 1960, when it was the second most popular name after David). It remained in the top three most popular names every year starting from 1953 for over 50 years.
In childhood Michael is very charming, gentle, eager to be caressed, very good-looking, and so smart that he can use his good looks to get what he wants from his parents. He is attracted to the beauty from early years and is often surrounded by beautiful things and works of art from his birth.
Michael is willing to please everyone and live in harmony with other people. Sensations are very important for him. He carefully chooses everything in his life, whether it be clothes, books, or profession. Moreover, Michael is a great friend, very approachable, generous, and hospitable. He can easily share anything with friends.
Michael is especially sensitive to esthetics, beauty, and art. Sometimes he can be narcissistic or just handsome, he wants to achieve perfection, even maniacally so, focusing his attention on some small details necessary for him. The men with this name are extraverts, they are sociable, but are often influenced by other people, especially their family and close ones. Nevertheless, they are active and they continue to work even if the pace of work is unbalanced. Usually they are devoted to achieving their goal.
Michael is always looking for his other half. Family is the top priority for people with this name, they are very thoughtful. Michael often becomes a doctor, a lawyer, or a teacher as he feels he can be useful to other people, although occasionally he can become a high executive.
Famous people named Michael
- Michael Kors (born in 1959) – an American designer who owns the eponymous brand of clothing and accessories.
- Michael Jackson (1958 - 2009) – an American singer, dancer, choreographer and composer, the most successful singer in the history of pop music. He is known throughout the world as the “King of Pop”. His awards include 15 “Grammys” and hundreds of other awards. 25 entries in the Guinness Book of Records with his achievements. Michael Jackson made a stunning contribution to the development of music, dance, the creation of video clips, as well as the fashion industry.
- Michael Tyson (born in 1966) – an American professional boxer who performed in the heavy weight category. This is one of the most famous boxers in world sports history. He is a multiple champion and holder of world records, many of which are still not beaten.
- Michael Douglas (born in 1944) – an American actor and producer. Winner of two “Oscars”, five “Golden Globes”, and an “Emmy” Award.
- Michael Kiwanuka (born in 1987) – a British soul singer and guitarist who recorded at the Polydor Records studio. His music was compared with the work of Bill Withers and Otis Ray Redding, as well as Van Morrison and “The Temptations”. He became the leader of “Sound of 2012”, an annual poll conducted by the BBC.
- Michael Bloomberg (born in 1942) – an American businessman and the 108th mayor of New York (2002-2013). He is one of the richest people in the world according to “Forbes”.
- Michael Buble (born in 1975) – a Canadian singer-songwriter working in a traditional pop-style. Leading contemporary performer of the Great American Songbook repertoire, winner of several awards “Grammy” and “Juno Awards”.
- Michael Owen (born in 1979) – an English football player. In 2001 he was recognized as the best football player of the year in Europe.
- Michael Schumacher (born in 1969) – a German race car driver of “Formula 1”. Seven times became the world champion, holder of numerous records of the Formula 1 world championship: by the number of victories (91), podiums (155) and others.
- Michael Phelps (born in 1985, the real name is Michael Fred Phelps II) – an outstanding American swimmer, the only 14-time Olympic champion and 26-time world champion in a 50-meter pool, the sports nickname is “The Baltimore Bullet” and “Flying Fish”. Michael is the strongest freestyle man and butterfly. Also successfully performs in integrated swimming.
- Michael Johnson (born in 1967) – an outstanding American athlete and sprinter. He specialized in 200 and 400 meters. Four-time Olympic champion and nine-time world champion. World record holder in 400 meters - 43.18 seconds in 1999.
- Michael Gomez (born in 1977, the real name is Michael Armstrong) – a professional Irish boxer who performed in the light, semi-light and second lightweight categories.
- Michael O’Hare (1952 - 2012) – an American actor best known for playing Jeffrey Sinclair in the series “Babylon 5”.
- Michael Moore (born in 1954) – an American journalist and documentary filmmaker working in the genre of sharp social and political satire. He is a winner of the “Oscar”, the “Golden Palm Branch”, the Cannes Film Festival (2004). He was awarded the last award for “The Fahrenheit 9/11” film, which has become the most commercially successful film in documentary history.
- Michael D. Gleason (1876 - 1923) – an American rower, the Olympic champion in 1904.
- Michael Bay (born in 1965) – an American filmmaker and film producer. One of the highest grossing directors on the planet. He shot: “Transformers”, “Armageddon”, “The Island”, “A Nightmare On Elm Street”.
- Michael Witzel (born in 1943) – an outstanding German and American Indologist and Sanskritologist.
- Michael Ahern (born in 1940) – an American astrophysicist, principal researcher of the Deep Impact (Deep Impact) space project. He participated in the development and implementation of several NASA space projects. The scientist specializes in the study of small celestial bodies - comets and asteroids. Theoretical studies of the professor specialize in the structure, composition, physical and chemical properties of comets. His scientific achievements are widely recognized, and in 1986 the asteroid 3192 A was named after him.
- Michael Spivakovsky (1919 - 1983) – a British violinist, conductor and composer, played the violin (less often on the viola) in various orchestras specializing in light classical music, including the orchestra compiled by Frank Sinatra to record Sylvia Sims's album "Syms by Sinatra" (1982). He also directed his own Stradivarius Orchestra. He is the author of various light compositions, among which the most popular are “Tango Violin” (1955), Waltz-Burlesque, “Recollection” and others.
- Michael Stonebreaker (born in 1943) – an American scientist in the field of computer science, a researcher in the construction of database management systems, a professor at the University of California at Berkeley (1971-2000), and a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology since 2001. He is known as an architect and developer of such control systems databases like Ingres, Informix, VoltDB, and is recognized as a pioneer in database research and technology.
- Michael Anthony (born in 1954, the real name is Michael Anthony Sobolewski) – an American rock musician and entrepreneur, best known as the bass player of the American hard rock band “Van Halen”. He is currently the bass player in the “Chickenfoot”. Anthony is known for his antics on stage, as well as the number of custom-made bass guitars for him, including Jack Daniel's in the form of a bottle for whiskey. He has more than 150 bass-guitars in total. In addition to his musical career.
- Michael Tukura (born in 1988) – a Nigerian soccer player.
- Michael Sadler (1780 - 1835) – an English economist.
- Michael White (born in 1991) – a Welsh professional snooker player. Michael is listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the youngest performer of the Century Break: he added up a series of 105 points at the age of 9. Michael White became one of the most successful juniors, winning many tournaments, and then repeated his achievements in the amateur arena.
More man names ☞