|Synonyms||Johnathan, Johnathon, Jonathon, Jonatan|
|Diminutive||Jon, Jonny, Jonty, Joe|
The name Jonathan is widely used in English-speaking countries, mainly in Great Britain, but it has old Hebrew roots. In the Bible there are several characters with the name Jonathan or Ionathan. In old Hebrew it means “God has given”. The name Jonathan can be spelt in different ways: Jonatan, Johnathan, Jehonathan, Yonatan, Yehonatan.
In France Jonathan will be pronounced as [ʒɔnatɑ̃n], in Germany, Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic, and Netherlands it’s [ˈjoːnatan], in Sweden and Norway it’s [ˈjuːnatan], and in Spain it’s [ˈhonatan]. The short form Joe is used for many other male names (Joseph, George, Jocelyn, Giovanni, or Joel).
Men with this name are usually incredibly adapted to life thanks to their personal qualities. Any Jonathan considers achieving success his essential life principle, he strives for fame and material welfare. Jonathan’s character dances to the music of these wonderful words. They follow any road that leads them to their goal with determination, skillfully overcoming doubts and crises typical for other people. These traits show themselves from the early childhood, so Jonathan finds his vocation before others do, and he firmly believes in his strength that rarely lets him down.
As a result, Jonathan is often unfair to stupid and unscrupulous people. But you can’t blame him as he really dislikes them and can’t treat them in any other way. Sometimes this may lead to serious conflicts even if there is no good reason for that. However, such outcome is a rare thing so you shouldn’t be afraid of Jonathan in advance and avoid him.
You may think that Jonathan is like a human machine for hard work and determined “production”. But it’s not like that. The men with this name are deeply emotional and capable of sincere feelings, even in the most ecstatic and critical states. Still, these emotions are usually hidden from other people deep inside and are constantly under control, which is not easy at all for Jonathan. But if it’s necessary, he can show his feelings. It’s especially impressive when Jonathan is bursting with intimidating manly power that amazes anyone who is lucky to see it.
However, such frightening outbursts are rare and can only be seen in a critical situation. In everyday life Jonathan is a very kind and generous person. It’s especially obvious when someone needs his knowledge, and he is extremely knowledgeable thanks to his amazing curiosity. And when it comes to money, Jonathan is also the first man you should turn to as he will gladly share the results of his success with you.
Surely, his kindness and generosity are mostly revealed in his family. With them he is an incredibly honest and open person, willing to sacrifice everything for the woman he loves and his child. Marrying Jonathan, you won’t have to worry about money since you will have a lot of it and live large. This is because Jonathan always brings the “cream” of his money home as quick as possible, willing to indulge his close ones. Well, it’s not just “cream” but also the rest of the milk jar and even enough for butter because Jonathan is capable of earning considerable sums of money.
Due to his infinite loyalty to the close ones, Jonathan can’t tolerate infidelity. He will never cheat, and he will be beside himself with rage if his wife cheats on him, which he will never forgive. But if you’re as loyal to him as he is to you, he will be a gentle and thoughtful family man, willing to give you everything he has and do so with great imagination.
Famous people named Jonathan
- Jonathan Shaw (born in 1966) – an English politician.
- Jonathan Davis (born in 1971) – an American musician (multi-instrumentalist). He played in groups “Korn”, “Sexart”, is currently working on a solo debut.
- Jonathan Bree – a New Zealand singer. He founded the indie pop group “Brunettes” (1998) and “Lil 'Chief Records” (2002). He also collaborates as a musician and producer with other groups.
- Jonathan Adler (born in 1966) – an American potter who is engaged in ceramics. Created the brand of the same name, developing its stores. He is the designer of his collections.
- Jonathan Banks (born in 1947) – an American actor.
- Jonathan Groff (born in 1985) – an American actor and singer. Received acclaim for performing in Broadway musicals.
- Jonathan Rhys Meyers (born in 1977) – an Irish film actor. Golden Globe Award winner.
- Jonathan Swift (1667 - 1745) – an English-Irish writer, wrote not only in the satire genre, but also journalism, parables, lyrical narratives, poems. He was a poet and public figure. His most famous works are “Gulliver's Travels”, “The Battle of the Books”, "A Journal to Stella”.
- Jonathan Coe (born in 1961) – an English writer, author of the novel “What a Carve Up!”.
- Jonathan Sadowski (born in 1979) – an American actor, starred in the films “Live Free or Die Hard”, “Die Hard 4.0”, “Friday the 13th”, “Chernobyl Diaries”, “Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles” and others.
- Jonathan Kaplan (born in 1947) – an American filmmaker who has directed more than 30 films, including “The Accused”, “Mr. Billion”, “Project X”, “Unlawful Entry”, “Bad Girls”, “Brokedown Palace” and “Without a Trace”. His series “ER” (“Emergency Room”) were put forward five times on the “Emmy”.
- Jonathan Demme (1944 - 2017) – an American director, three times an “Oscar” winner in all five major categories for the film “The Silence of the Lambs”. He also directed “Philadelphia”, “Swing Shift”, “The Truth About Charlie”, “Charade”, “The Manchurian Candidate".
- Jonathan Bennett (born in 1981) – an American actor. He starred in the films “Mean Girls”, “Eastwick”, “Boston Public”, “Cats Dancing on Jupiter”, “The Secret Village”, “Love Wrecked”, “Divorce Invitation”.
- Jonathan de Guzman (born in 1987) – a Dutch soccer player, since 2013 he became a player in the national team.
- Jony Ive (born in 1967, the real name is Sir Jonathan Paul Ive) – an English-American designer of Apple portable devices (media players, smartphones, laptops, etc).
- Jonathan Fisher (1740 - 1809) – a Irish painter, painted landscapes, portraits, painted engravings.
- Jonathan Hyde (born in 1948) – an English actor. He starred in the films “Caravaggio”, “Titanic”, “Anaconda”, “Jumanji”, “The Mummy”, “The Prince and the Pauper”, “The Contract”, “The Strain” and others.
- J. R. Rotem (born in 1975, the real name is Jonathan Reuven Rotem) – an American singer, rap and R`n`B.
- Jonathan Urreta (born in 1990, the real name is Jonathan Matias Urretaviscaya da Luz) – an Uruguayan footballer, player of the Uruguayan Olympic team.
- Jonathan Huberdeau (born in 1993) – a Canadian hockey player.
- Jonathan Clements (born in 1971) – an English writer and author of books about anime and manga, he also wrote biographical books about Confucius, Koxinga (the most famous Chinese pirate) and Qin Shi Huang (ruler of the first centralized Chinese state), Marco Polo, Mao Zedong and others prominent figures in Asia. In 2000, he was awarded the Japan Festival Award for his outstanding contribution to “understanding Japanese culture.”
- Jonathan Midol (born in 1988) – a French freestyle artist, winner of the 2014 Olympic Games bronze medal.
More man names ☞