The name Ethan is derived from old Hebrew name Eitan meaning “constancy” and “invariability”. It can also be translated from Hebrew as “firm”, “solid”, “durable”, or “strong”. There are several characters named Ethan in the Old Testament. The name may have various spelling and pronunciation: Efam, Efan, Aitan, Etan, Efan, Ethen, or Eitan. Today this name is widely used among the Americans.
Ethan possesses certain magnetism, there is some strength emanating from him. He is brave and assertive, although he is also rather suspicious. This is definitely the result of his shyness and emotional fragility which influence his mood and enthusiasm. Such inner state can sometimes lead to angry outbursts if Ethan doesn’t feel he was completely understood.
Ethan becomes a friendly, affectionate, and lovely person with people he thinks he can trust. He is an ambitious young man, not indifferent to material values and comfort. He is especially effective and capable of being a great diplomat when he feels motivated while in other circumstances he may lack tact and patience.
A man with the name Ethan is confident and even self-confident to a certain degree. His energy, immediacy, his realistic and practical approach are highly valuable assets! Still, he remains quite impatient and irritable and sometimes even opportunistic as he wants to achieve success in something and to prove his strength. At the same time, Ethan is a rather proud and vain man who hates flattery and deception and who has a strong sense of justice.Sometimes he can be torn between his wishes and his principles. Born to be responsible, he is capable of assuming responsibility, both in his family and professional field.
In childhood Ethan is attached to his family. He is a sensible and responsible child from the early age, and his parents know they can trust him. Ethan is a conscientious person and a perfectionist, he has superior intelligence so he is inclined to continue his education until he chooses to. However, his well-being and development still depend a lot on the harmony in his family and his personal life. Any shock in his family can be a turning point in his life. Ethan can react in two different ways: either he will feel too involved and begin to take care of others, or he will try to hide from his duties.
Ethan is willing to please people, he looks for peace and harmony. He loves perfection and he is sensitive to beauty, esthetics, and comfort. Sometimes he can be very indecisive and have inflated demands to himself and other people. He is attentive to small things and details. When it comes to love, he turns into a passionate and attractive man capable of fierce jealousy. Ethan is a sincere and loyal partner, and if a woman cheats on him it will be a big trouble. To forgive her infidelity is almost impossible for him, it’s like going into open space without a spacesuit. Either he will have the courage to do that and succeed or he won’t even risk it.
In his professional field Ethan prefers to be independent. That’s why he chooses creative professions (actor, director, artist) or professions related to finance, management, or consulting. His desire for justice and involvement can turn him into a judge or doctor.
Famous people named Ethan
- Ethan Hawke (born in 1970) – an American actor, four times nominated for an “Oscar”, was also among the nominees for “Golden Globes” and BAFTA. He has received various awards for scripts and has starred in films such as “Training Day” and “Boyhood”, “Before Sunrise”, “Great Expectations”, “Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead”, “Daybreakers”, “Predestination” and others.
- Ethan Saplee (born in 1976) – an American actor known for his roles in the films “American History X”, “Remember the Titans”, “The Butterfly Effect”, “The Wolf of Wall Street” and “Unstoppable” adn as well as the role of Randy Hickey in the television series “My Name Is Earl”.
- Ethan Cutkosky (born in 1999) – an American actor, best known for playing Carl Gallagher in the television series “Shameless”.
- Ethan Dolan (born in 1999) – an American comedian duo with his brother Grayson Dolan, collectively known as “The Dolan Twins” They became famous in May 2013 on the Vine video sharing app.
- Ethan Kath, the real name is Claudio Paolo Palmieri – a Canadian co-founder and songwriter, producer of “Crystal Castles”. Also he is a musician.
- Ethan Carter III (born in 1983, the real name is Michael Hunter Hatter) – an American professional wrestler who is best known for his time in the “Total Nonstop Action”.
- Ethan Peck (born in 1986) – an American actor. His famous work is on ABC Family in the TV series “10 Things I Hate About You”, where he played Patrick Verona.
- Ethan Phillips (born in 1955) – an American actor, starred in the TV series “Star Trek” and “Benson”.
- Ethan Randall (born in 1978) – an American actor.
- Ethan Erickson (born in 1973) – an American actor, known for the films “The Guiding Light”, “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation”, “Falling in Love with the Girl Next Door”, “Castle”, “The Closer”, “Anger Management” and others.
- Ethan Allen (1738 - 1737) – an American soldier who was a hero of the US War of Independence. Later he became a politician, founded the state of Vermont, was a businessman, owned many farms, had an iron mine. He became the author of several philosophical treatises, wrote memoirs about the war, which was popular during the years of his life.
- Ethan Cohen (born in 1957) – an American filmmaker, screenwriter and producer who works in tandem with his brother Joel Cohen. Often referred to under the pseudonym for films as a filmmaker, Roderick Jaynes. He has four “Oscars”, two BAFTA, “Golden Palm branch” (Cannes Film Festival) and more than 70 cinematic awards. Filmed such as "The Big Lebowski", "Fargo", "The Man Who Wasn’t There", "Bad Santa", "Burn After Reading", "Gambit", "Hail, Caesar!” and others.
More man names ☞