The name Dominic is widely spread in Europe. It is of Latin origin and literally means “belonging to God”.
Dominic is a nice and sociable person, not lacking in certain charm. He’s used to relying only on himself and his own efforts, and he always takes full responsibility. Dominic enjoys offering advice, but he really cares about people around him.
Dominic is a friendly and polite person, preferring harmony and beauty in life. Helpful and peaceful, a man with this name is tactful and prefers diplomatic approach. He can be called a gentleman.
Altruistic by nature, he considers his friends’ happiness as important as his own. He has a strong sense of justice which can make him furious, and this is practically the only thing that can get under his skin. Dominic is observant, he has an analytical mind and a knack for details, which helps him to master the art of deduction. Dominic is not without pride and perfectionism, and his willpower mostly depends on the level of his motivation.
In childhood Dominic can be rather charming, he’s kind, attentive, and well-mannered. He will be a great elder brother, defender, and thoughtful mentor. He hates conflicts and aggression. Dominic gets very nervous and anxious when things don’t go as planned. Comfort is extremely important for him.
As for personal relationships, Dominic is rather demanding and always gets what he wants. He is ready to manipulate people if necessary because he understand how hard it is sometimes to achieve results without pressure. Although Dominic prefers straightforward and honest relationship, he can get in extra trouble because of his tendency to take full responsibility.
When it comes to choosing a profession, Dominic prefers the ones requiring accuracy and attention. He often finds his vocation in medicine or law, psychology or some other professions, such as jeweler, dentist, or lawyer. He is also no stranger to artistic and esthetic professions. He can take up family business or property management.
Famous people named Dominic
- Dominic Fike (born in 1995) – an American hip-hop artist and songwriter.
- Dominic Monaghan (born in 1976) – an English actor. Best known for his role in the trilogy “The Lord of the Rings” (2001–2003) and the series “Lost” (2004–2010). He was nominated for “Saturn” for the role of Charlie Pace in this series.
- Dominic Raab (born in 1974) – an English politician. He is Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs since 2019.
- Dominic West (born in 1969) – an English actor who became best known as the performer of the role of detective Jim McNulty in the series “The Wire”. In addition, he played in films such as “Rock Star” (2001), “Hannibal Rising"(2007), "300" (2007), "Punisher: War Zone" (2008). Twice nominated for the “Golden Globe” Award.
- Dominic Cooper (born in 1978) – an English actor, starred in the films "Mamma Mia!", “Sense and Sensibility”, "The Devil’s Double", "Reasonable Doubt" and others.
- Dominic Thiem (born in 1993) – an Austrian professional tennis player. He is a finalist of three singles “Grand Slam” tournaments; finalist of the ATP Final Tournament (2019) singles; winner of 16 ATP tournaments in singles; third racket of the world in singles.
- Dominique Walter (born in 1942, the real name is Dominique Gruere) – a French singer, the participant of “Eurovision” in 1966.
- Dominique Monfery (born in 1965) – a French animator, director of the animated films “Destino” (2003), won many awards. He worked at Disney and participates in the creation of the animated films “Winnie the Pooh and Christmas Too” by Jamie Mitchell, “Runaway Brain” by Chris Bailey, “Duck Tales”, “The Hunchback of Notre Dame”, “Atlantis: The Lost Empire”, “ Tarzan ”, “The Emperor's New Groove” and the series “TaleSpin” and “Goof Troop” as an animator of characters.
- Dominik Simon (born in 1994) – a Czech ice hockey player.
- Dominic Jones (born in 1987) – an American football player.
- Dominic Cifarelli (born in 1979) – a Canadian guitarist.
- Dominic Keating (born in 1962) – an English actor and director.
- Vivant Denon (1747 - 1825, the real name is Dominique Vivant, Baron Denon) – a French engraver, egyptologist. The first director of Imperial Museum, later renamed the Louvre, which replenished with various military trophies from Europe and archaeological finds from the Middle East and Egypt. He was fond of lithography, created a four-volume illustrated post-mortem art history.
- Dominic Sherwood (born in 1990) – a British actor. Best known for her role as Christian Ozera in the movie “Vampire Academy” and Jace Herondale in the television series “Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments”.
More man names ☞